Have you ever wondered what it would be like if your tomatoes had their own wants and desires? What if plants were more than just a backdrop things happen to? Guess what, they already are! This course will combine a class “grow along” with an exploration of the basics of botany. We’ll be discussing all of the dirt on how plants interact with their environments, and how this has shaped plant and human interactions over time. We’ll be growing our own “captives” to learn from and you even get to eat them at the end — if all grows well!
We will cover:
- How plant needs have shaped US agriculture and ecology.
- How to keep your plants healthy long enough to be eaten.
- How much they definitely don’t want to be eaten.
- Space for potting and growing four 4” potted plants.
- 4 Plastic 4” Pots or Smooth-sided Compostable Pots (Pots must be non-porous)
- Potting mix to fill the pots (no more than 1 cu ft)
- 1 Packet Radish Seeds (Preferably Cherry Belle)
- 1 Packet Nasturtium Seeds (Any)
- 1 Packet Leafy Greens Seeds (Arugula, Spinach, or Mustard)
- 1 Packet Basil Seeds (Any)
- 4 Non-quilted napkins or paper towels (Satisfied by 4 fast-food quality napkins)